Skip to main content

Let's recycle!

Somehow, Monday is recycling day in our household. Maybe it's because the kids are home a lot more on weekends and drink milk like it's water *.* Every week, we drain three to five 2L cartons of this milk.

Seems that recycling is quite big these days? Keep seeing the CNA green plan on TV. Well, Auntie started when I was a kid in the early 1990s ok, with the "I'm a young environmentalist" badge, woohoo! 

Then in my uni days, when I discovered that my lawyer friends printed their cases on only one side of the paper for ease of reference, I took their discarded printouts to use the other side to do my maths tutorials instead of using fresh paper. 

In my master's year, I rented a room in a house instead of a college community space, and found that the town council provided free recycling boxes so I wrote in to get one for our kerb side :) And that summer, I was in Germany and found recycling bins everywhere. Back then, they weren't as common in Singapore. I was happy to see more and more of them in the past 10-20 years!

Now, there are those big blue recycling bins in every estate. We used to only bring down cardboards and boxes on an ad hoc basis, and worksheets etc at the end of the school year. After I took over household management when we gave up the helper, I bought a recycling bin. So started our Monday recycling.

Truth be told - I was looking for a rubbish bin coz the old one was really gross... And I found these Hållbar bins in Ikea:

10L rubbish bin stacked on 22L recycling bin


Regular NTUC Fairprice bags can fit into the 10L. I fill one or two bags every day, for a household of two adults and three kids. A rectangular ring holds the bag in place very well - in the past five months, I only had to clean the inside of the bin once coz the kids dump pencil shavings all over such that they fell in when I removed the bag *.* 

I prefer this to our old step pedal. I just leave the lid open the whole time since rubbish gets dumped daily so there's no smell. The stacking seems to help prevent pests - no ants or lizards (!) in our rubbish bins for five months now!

I don't use a bag for the 22L bin because recycled stuff should be dry! I let milk bottles air dry on top (where the rubbish bag sits in the picture above) after rinsing them. This size can fit four 2L milk cartons, with space left for other things like a 10-egg egg tray and trash mail. 

There are two lids for this side - I can slide the milk cartons in through the half lid (hidden by the rubbish bag!) instead of removing the 10L to open the full lid. There's also a handle which makes it easier to carry the box downstairs or just shift it to clean the floor.

I first saw these in white but when I was ready to buy, they had phased out the white. But these grey bins also look very nice! :)

Shall end this with two tips:
  1. Pack small stuff together in a bag or old envelop to make it easier to move them from your own bin to the blue recycling bin
  2. Look here to learn what can be recycled (and what not!) in Singapore - remember, trash belongs to the green bins, not the blue recycling bins!
Have fun recycling! :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is afternoon sun really that bad?

This has been a wonderful week, and not just because term 3 has started (which is great, btw!); after all that rain, I'm welcoming the sun back into our lives! One of our duvets sunbathing, cover and all We didn't know that three of our four bedrooms would get the afternoon sun (or 西照 in housing speak) when we bought this house. When we got the keys and saw the sun, we had the windows all tinted. Blackout curtains definitely but those were more for the kids' nap time as they were all still taking afternoon naps at that time. When we moved in, we realised that it got really hot after 3 pm as the sunlight goes about 1 metre into the bedrooms.  Solution? Aircon. But this doesn't affect our electricity bills: The kids napped with aircon with or without afternoon sun. Now that the kids are not napping, we are also not in the bedrooms in the afternoon. And I'm at home the whole day most days! Until WFH happened as The Hub converted a bedroom to his office. But even if the

Refreshing my ironing board

There were many things to replenish when our helper left. Took two trips to Ikea in one week - first to Alexander for the big stuff as I'm familiar with the place and it's easy to just pop my boxes from the trolley to the taxi; second to Jurong for the small stuff not available at Alexander. In between the two trips, I bought an ironing board cover from NTUC. I knew that I would have to get a new iron because helper scratched burnt fibres off the ceramic soleplate with a knife!! That was some time ago but I didn't bother changing it since it was still working and I knew I wouldn't keep her long. But I didn't realise until after my second trip to Ikea that I had to get a new ironing board too!  The army towel acted as a dust cover but also prevented me from seeing the truth about the board whenever I went into the yard Some weird stained on the iron rest The cover under the polka dot cover was disintegrating I didn't remember why I had two ironing board covers, h

Surviving COVID-19 home recovery

I came down with COVID-19 :( As The Hub was out of town, I was the only adult at home. Luckily, the kids are old enough to do some things independently and even help me during my home recovery. Two KPIs were met: (1) The kids stay alive; and (2) they did not catch COVID from me.  Here are some tips to help others in similar shoes, i.e. single parents of (semi-)independent school-going children and with mild symptoms on home recovery. *** *** *** Put up safety barriers To be honest, if you get COVID from the kids, most likely you are all going down coz they would be infectious before showing symptoms. But if you're the first and you know about your exposure to COVID early like me, there is a very good chance that your family won't get it from you if you do this first step right. Even if you don't know about any exposure, it's best to barrier up at the first symptom and hope for the best! Mask up: While a surgical mask would do well for those who can stay put in one room